Monday, January 23, 2012

Jersey-Style Tuna Melts

These tuna melts are warm heavenly goodness. A delicious twist on a comforting classic. I've made them three times in the last week, and I could eat another right now!
So let's assemble the ingredients!
Chunk tuna, finely diced onion, fresh parsley, red wine vinegar, diced pickles or celery, tomatoes, cheddar and of course, bread, tuna and mayo.
The tuna mixture gets a nice punch from the diced pickles, onions, red wine vinegar and parsley. Trust me, all these flavors and textures work wonderful together. And of course, the mayo brings everything together in all of it's creamy goodness.
Layer the yummy tuna mixture on top of toasted bread. Top with cheese and tomatoes and more cheese and broil until the tuna is heated through and the cheese is nice and melted.
These look and smell so wonderful as they're pulled out of the oven. Drool.

Cut them in half on the diagonal and serve with chips, pickle slices or....
....a hot bowl of tomato soup. So good!

Tuna Melts
slightly adapted from allrecipes
2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna in
water, drained
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped celery or pickle*
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped onion**
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
3/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 pinch salt
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
4 slices seedless rye bread or thick white bread***
8 slices ripe tomato
8 slices Swiss cheese (I used cheddar)
paprika, for garnish

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven broiler on low.
2. In a bowl, mix the tuna, mayonnaise, celery or pickles, onion, parsley, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place the bread slices on a baking sheet, and broil 1 minute on each side in the preheated oven, until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and spread with the tuna salad. Place 1 cheese slice over the tuna salad on each piece of bread, layer with a tomato slice, and top with remaining cheese slices.
4. Return layered bread to the preheated oven, and broil 3 to 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.****

* I used pickle for an extra salty kick and because that's how my mom always made them.
** I was a little afraid of the onion, but it really amped up the flavor without being overpowering. I really enjoyed the addition of onion in these.
*** Make sure to toast both sides of the bread so you don't end up with a soggy side. I used white bread, because that's what sounded good to me at the time.
**** Broil these on low on the middle rack so the edges of the bread don't burn.

5 comments:

Shauna said...

The tuna melts look really good. The pickles are making my mouth water!

Unknown said...

I hate tuna, but I might need to try this...the only time I have ever been enticed to try it.

Bake-A-Holic said...

You could make these with chicken too! Yum!

Shauna said...

Damnit,why did I look. Now I'm hungry.

Unknown said...

This looks SO good. And I haven't had lunch today and now this is ALL I want! Yum!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails