Monday, February 27, 2012

7-Layer Greek Dip

I love love this dip! It's a fun twist on the usual 7-Layer Mexican dip. It has all the yummy Greek flavors, like kalamata olives, cucumber yogurt dip, hummus, feta, tomatoes, oregano, mint... and they're all layered in one delicious spread.


All the bright flavors in this appetizer go really well together and the baked pita chips are perfect for scooping up all the delicious goodness. I recently took this to a cooking club I attended and won a prize for best dish. I've made this a handful of times now and it always gets rave reviews.

So, if you need a tasty appetizer to take to a party or just want to make something different and yummy for yourself at home, this is the dish!
* * * * * * * * * * * * *

7-Layer Greek Dip
Source: Closet Cooking
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups hummus
1 cup tzatziki (cucumber yogurt dip, see recipe below)
1 cup tomato (diced and mixed with 1 tablesoon lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon oregano)
1/2 cup cucumber (cut into small pieces)
1/4 cup red onions (diced)
1/4 cup feta (crumbled)
1/4 cup kalamata olives (pitted and coarsely chopped)
1 handful mint (chopped)
4 whole wheat pitas (cut into triangles and toasted until just crispy)*

Directions:
Assemble dip starting with the hummus and stacking each ingredient on top of the last.

*After cutting the pita into triangles, I brushed them with a mix of olive oil, minced garlic (I put mine through a press) and salt. I baked this at 350, turning the pita once, until lightly browned and crispy. These are addicting!

Tzatziki (Yogurt Cucumber Dip)**Source: about.com
Ingredients:
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced finely
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 cup greek yogurt, strained
1 cup sour cream
2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
1 tsp. chopped fresh dill

Preparation:
Combine olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix until well combined. Using a whisk, blend the yogurt with the sour cream. Add the olive oil mixture to the yogurt mixture and mix well. Finally, add the cucumber and chopped fresh dill. Chill for at least two hours before serving.

** I made a half recipe of this to go with the above 7-layer dip. I also added more dill. For the cucumbers, once they were chopped, I pressed them between layers of paper towels to render some of the liquid before adding to the yogurt mixture.


2 comments:

Shauna said...

This will go in my recipe book. It was really really good.

Lisa said...

I like this a lot, too, and have used this for entertaining a few times. As a vegetarian, I'm big on greens, so I add some chopped arugula (or chard or spinach). Have also added oregano from my garden, along with the mint. Love this -- thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails