Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Versatility of Baking Mix

What is baking mix you ask? Well, that's what I wondered when a recipe for biscuits my sister-in-law was making, called for it. It turns out, it's an all purpose baking mix. It consists of bleached wheat flour, barley flour, baking soda, buttermilk and salt. You can use the mix to make gravy, cornbread, coffee cake, waffles, dumplings, pot pie, shortcake and many, many more wondrous things.

I hadn't used the mix since my sister-in-law was in town, but I decided to give it a try. I made the pancake recipe listed on the box. I must admit, I was a little surprised that they turned out so good. They were light and fluffy with a hint of butter and sweetness. I tweaked the recipe by adding vanilla and sifting the mix, but that's all that's needed. Enjoy!


Fluffy Pancakes

2 cups Original Baking Mix
1 1/3 cups milk
1 egg
2 rounded Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Heat griddle to 375'. Sift baking mix into a large bowl. Whisk in remaining ingredients. Bake on hot, lightly greased griddle using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until bubbles break on the surface. Turn; cook until golden. Makes 12 medium-sized pancakes.

I buttered mine, dusted with powdered sugar and drizzled with syrup.

So, if you have some fresh baking mix sitting in your cupboard, I recommend you dust it off and make these simple and yummy pancakes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it called Bisquick? I used it all the time back in the day before I gave up cooking. The pancakes look beautiful!!!

Bake-A-Holic said...

Bisquick is the main brand, but we just bought Ralphs Baking Mix.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails