Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Coconut Custard Tart

I saw the recipe for this tart in the new issue of Food and Wine Magazine and had to make it.

It was really tasty, but I would recommend a couple of changes. I found that there was barely enough custard to cover the bottom of the tart shell. The custard puffs up slightly, but it's overwhelmed by all the coconut topping. I would double the custard filling and do 2 cups of coconut and 1 cup of brown sugar for the topping or even 1 3/4 cup coconut and 3/4 cup brown sugar. The three cups of coconut/brown sugar topping called for make the tart cloyingly sweet and dominate the custard.


The crust was time consuming, but turned out flaky and delicious.

With the right balance of custard and topping, this tart would be amazing. Be sure to check the coconut when the tart is in it's final baking stage, so it doesn't burn.

So, to sum things up, I would recommend this tart, but with more custard and less topping. It has a great flavor and the caramelized, crunchy coconut is really yummy.


Click here for the recipe

3 comments:

Shauna said...

Maybe I better come over and try a piece. Just so you have a second opinion.

Bake-A-Holic said...

Now that you've tried it, what did you think?

Shauna said...

I really enjoyed the topping. More custard in the middle would be good. I guess I expected alot of custard like a coconut cream pie has. Sorry to say, the next day the bottom crust was limp, but the outside crust was really good. So, more custard and eat it all in one day. No problemo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails