First up, Pumpkin Roll.
Moist pumpkin cake is rolled up with a spiced cream cheese filling for this delightful spiraled pumpkin dessert.
Here's how the filling gets rolled up in the pumpkin cake:
One 15x10 pumpkin sheet cake is cooled and then rolled up in a tea towel.
The cake is allowed to cool completely in the tea towel and then it's slathered with a spiced cream cheese filling.
The spices in the cream cheese mixture are optional. I added them and thought it gave the cream cheese filling a nice warm flavor that went well the pumpkin cake.
I left a border with the filling because I thought it would squish out when I rolled it. The cream cheese filling is firm so make you spread yours all the way to the edge! It doesn't ooze out.
Once it's rolled up, the pumpkin cake is wrapped in plastic and chilled until ready to serve. This allows for the filling to setup and makes its easier to cut.
Right before serving, sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
Slice, Serve, Dig in!
* * * * * * * * * * * *
1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
6 tablespoons butter or margarine,
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)
1. PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle towel with powdered sugar.
2. COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
3. BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.
4. BEAT cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
* * * * * * * * *My Notes:
* I always up the spices in pumpkin desserts. This one was no exception. I used a heaping half teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon or so of nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice. The cake actually wasn't too spicy and it probably could stand for a pinch more of each.
* I added a sprinkle of cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg to the cream cheese filling. This was a welcome addition.
* Sprinkle your tea towel with powdered sugar before rolling the cake to prevent sticking.
* Make sure the cake has completely cooled before adding the cream cheese mixture or it will melt slightly and make it harder to roll.
* This dessert is great as is, but would be tasty with toasted pecans rolled up in the filling and maybe a drizzle of caramel on top right before serving! Or a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a drizzle of caramel and a sprinkle of nutmeg. OK, OK, I'm done.