Thursday, February 4, 2010

Food Rules

Shop the peripheries of the supermarket and stay out of the middle

I've been following this rule from Michael Pollan's Food Rules book and I absolutely love the stuff I've been buying. My refrigerator is loaded with fresh produce, organic meats and other healthy items.

In addition to healthy and fresh items, I've made a conscious effort to pick out one new vegetable or fruit that I haven't cooked with or tasted before. Today I choose Belgian Endive. Belgian endive is a slightly bitter leaf that can be served cold in a salad or cooked by braising or baking. They're in season right now, so it's the prefect time to try them out in a new dish.

Also at the grocery store, I took advantage of the raw bulk bins and picked up some dried green lentils, couscous, quinoa and a brown and wild rice mix. I made a tasty couscous salad last night for dinner. The recipe and post is below.

My kitchen counters are decorated with bowls of fresh fruit and vegetables. I love it.

I also bought some dried blueberries. I thought these would be tasty in my oatmeal in the morning.

On your next trip to the grocery store, try sticking to the 'peripheries' and see what tasty and healthy items you come home with. It makes a big difference.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails