Thursday, March 11, 2010

Raspberry and Oat Cookie Bars

I'm trying out a few recipes for some catering jobs I have coming up next week. I thought these raspberry bars looked tasty and would be nice on a platter and easy to pickup and eat. 

These bars are definitely worthy of my upcoming luncheon!

A buttery, brown sugar cookie crust is scented with warm spices and then topped with raspberry jam (I used a blackberry jam a friend made for me for this one, but for the catering gig, I'll get some nice raspberry jam).

More of the brown sugar and oat mixture is crumbled over the top of the jam and then I grated fresh lemon zest over the crumb mixture. I thought the subtle lemon flavor would pair well with raspberry jam and help balance out the brown sugar mixture. It definitely did.

Here are the bars out of the oven. The crumb mixture browned perfectly and the jam was nice and bubbly. The house really smelled wonderful.

I didn't have a square baking dish, so I used a fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. I cut the bars into wedges and this made for a nice presentation. My mom came over to taste and rate these with me and we both loved them! The crust is like a big, yummy cookie and the jam and crumble topping mixed with the lemon zest was really delicious.

Raspberry and Oat Cookie Bars
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup rolled oats 
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
Lemon zest
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease one 8 inch square pan, and line with greased foil.
Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, spices and rolled oats. Rub in the butter using your hands or a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture. Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam. Grate fresh lemon zest from one small lemon over top.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool before cutting into bars.

inspired by this recipe

1 comment:

Tara said...

Yummy! I hope your catering jobs went well!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails