Monday, August 2, 2010

Jazz up your Brownies


These brownies are worth reposting about. My grandma came over the other night for dinner and we picked up La Frontera (my arteries tightened with each bite I took). My husband spotted a box of Costco's Triple Fudge Brownie Mix on top of the refrigerator and asked if I would make those for dessert. I thought, why not? But of course, I had to jazz them up! I can't just serve a boxed dessert! So, a little tweaking to the brownie batter and a sweet and salty topping was perfect.
To the already outrageous brownie mix, I added cocoa powder, an extra egg yolk and a good splash of vanilla. After I poured the chocolate batter into the pan, I topped it off with a salty/sweet coconut mixture. To die for!! The brownies were so rich and fudgy and the topping is just scrumptious! Serve these with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you have a great dessert for any occasion.

Brownie Recipe of your choice, or try mine.


Coconut Topping (makes enough to top a 9x9 pan of brownies) 
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
3/4 cup almonds (or pecans, walnuts), chopped
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4-1/2 c. mini-chocolate chips (I used white chocolate chips and they were delicious!)

Make topping:
In a bowl stir together topping ingredients EXCEPT chocolate chips until combined well. When topping has cooled, add chocolate chips.

After spreading brownie batter of choice evenly in a 9x9 pan, sprinkle with topping. Bake brownies according to recipe. Cover with foil for last 15 minutes. DON'T overcook. They will seem a little gooey due to the melted chocolate pieces and the topping will be browned. 



Enjoy



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails