Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Crunchy Glazed Dobos Torte


I was in the mood for something different and a bit adventurous and this layer cake fit the bill. Four layers of homemade vanilla cake are filled with chocolate buttercream, then glazed with a caramel sauce. The caramel hardens once poured on the cake and forms a crunchy, brittle topping. Once all the layers are assembled, more chocolate buttercream is spread around the sides .

As far as appearances go, I thought it was an ugly cake. I tried to spruce it up by patting some ground almond on the outside, but that didn't help.


All-in-all, this was a tasty cake. I thought it was a little too sweet, but it was good. The crunchy caramel top definitely made this cake and gave it something extra and the chocolate buttercream was also very delicious and creamy. The problem was with the vanilla cake. It was spongy in texture and was a bit too chewy for the creamy frosting. I would substitute a white box cake mix and add extra vanilla or almond extract next time.

Vanilla cake batter is poured into four 7-in rounds on parchment paper and then baked.
The baked cakes need a little assistance getting off the parchment.
The yummy chocolate buttercream frosting
The "Ugly Duckling" finished product.
If you would like this recipe, let me know in the comments section. I can copy it out the cookbook.

The Day After: I liked this cake better the next day. I refrigerated it overnight (wrapped in plastic) then let it come to room temperature for a half hour the next morning before slicing a piece. I really liked the crunchy caramel topping and the chopped almonds mixed with the buttercream was really good. The flavors were really light and delicate and perfectly balanced by the crunchy brittle.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails