Wednesday, February 18, 2009

2-Layer Apple Oatmeal Crisp

I never make apple desserts, not because I don't like apples, I just never use them in baking. So, I decided to make an apple crisp. I don' think I've made any fruit crisps either, but I wanted to try something simple and good. I turned to allrecipes.com to search for recipes. I browsed through apple crisp recipes and settled on this one for an oatmeal crisp.

It turned out really good, although a little sweet. It made the house smell wonderful as it baked. The thing I liked about this recipe was that it had a bottom and top crust made from streusel. The apples were spiced perfectly with cinnamon and it was wonderful, warm out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top.

Brown Sugar and Oat Streusel

The apple crisp, dotted with butter, ready to go in the oven


I served the apple oat crisp, crumbled in martini glasses with a scoop of ice cream and a fresh grating of nutmeg.
This crisp comes together really quickly and bakes up in 40 minutes.

Apple Oatmeal Crisp


1 cup brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 scant cup all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 cups apples - peeled, cored and chopped
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 T butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8 inch square pan.
In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, flour, salt and melted butter. Mix until crumbly. Place half of crumb mixture in pan. Spread the apples evenly over crumb mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon, top with remaining crumb mixture and dot with butter.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
* A mix of red and green tart apples would be good in this to cut down the sweetness of the streusel.

2 comments:

Jacinda said...

yum!

Shauna said...

Yes, this is very good. Summer left all but the one piece she took for the photo, then ate, at my house.

Yes, we did eat all of it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails