Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dutch Oven 101


Kirkham's Sporting Goods offered a free dutch oven cooking class yesterday evening, so my mom, aunt Susan, Dan and I all attended. The two cooks who hosted the event asked who had never dutch oven cooked before and I of course raised my hand. I was then volunteered to be a sous chef the entire evening. Since I love cooking, I enjoyed every minute. We all had a really fun time and came away with some amazing recipes.

They stacked the dutch ovens which I thought was cool and a great way to cook multiple dishes.
Dutch Oven Rolls. They were amazing. I didn't know you could bake bread in a dutch oven. But, anything you can bake in a oven, can be baked in a DO too.

Mushrooms simmered in beef paste and butter then drizzled with fresh lemon juice. Yes, they were tasty.

Pork Roast wrapped in bacon sitting atop red onions. Incredible!
Guess what kind of meat this is? The audience didn't know until after they had consumed the mystery stew. It turned out to be bear. Yes, Bear stew. How was it you ask? The bear was tough, but didn't have an odd flavor. It just tasted like beef. The stew was actually good.



And for dessert, chocolate cake topped with whipped chocolate frosting and cherries. It was divine and everyone gobbled it right up.



I don't have a pic of the finished product as it was eaten too quickly, but here I am finishing the last of my sous chef duties by frosting the cake.


Dutch Oven Chocolate Cake

1 (12 in) Dutch Oven (DO)
1 pkg. chocolate cake miix
1 (8oz) pkg. cream cheese, cut into 1/2 in cubes
1 container chocolate frosting
1 can cherry pie filling

Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into a greased dutch oven and top with cream cheese cubes. Cook for about 45 minutes at 375', turning DO and lid one half turn in opposite directions every 7 minutes. When done, remove DO from coals and invert cake onto lid. Let cool. Frost cake and top with cherries.

* You could also make this cake in a regular oven. Just prepare the cake mix acorrding to the directions on the back. Make sure to top the batter with the cream cheese cubes before you bake it. Once cooled, just frost and top with cherry pie filling.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails