Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars


I love frosted sugar cookies! They're one of my favorite treats. I don't know what it is about a soft, pillowy sugary cookie topped with creamy vanilla frosting, but I love it. When I was pregnant with my second baby, I craved sugar cookies the entire third trimester and that never went away.

This recipe is really quick and very satisfying. The cookie part taste just like a rolled out sugar cookie, but without all the work. You simply mix up the dough, press it into a pan (note the large pan size) and bake. The frosting is also really quick and very yummy. If you love sugar cookies, you must give this recipe a try!

Here is the yummy sugar cookie dough (not that I would ever sneak some dough). I halved the recipe and pressed it into a 9-in fluted tart pan, just for fun and presentation.



Here is the baked giant sugar cookie awaiting a glorious topping of vanilla, almond frosting.

Spread out the creamy goodness...
For a splash of color and because my four year old insisted, I added rainbow sprinkles to finish off the cookie. You can use any sprinkles you want and also tint the frosting.

This sugar cookie is as good as it looks. The cookie is soft, but has a nice dense texture and a delicious flavor from the vanilla and almond extracts. The frosting is light and fluffy and has the perfect amount of sweetness. The sprinkles on top give it a good crunch and add a nice touch of color.


Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
1 cup butter, at room temperature I halved the recipe and used a 9 x 9 tart pan
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract I used 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp almond extract
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 13 x 18 inch sheet pan and line with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking soda and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixture, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes on medium high. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add the vanilla. Add the flour mixture in 2 addition, mixing until just combined.

Press the cookie dough into the sheet pan, using a greased spatula or parchment paper to spread it evenly. Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool completely.

Buttercream frosting

1/2 cup shortening I halved the frosting recipe too
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
4 cups confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract 
4-5 tablespoons milk
Pinch of salt

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the shortening and butter until combined and smooth. Add the vanilla and salt and mix until combined. Add the confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Cream together on medium high for about a minute. Add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until smooth. 

Spread onto cooled cookie. Slice into bars and serve.

Inspired By: therepressedpastrychef

Makes 24 bars

Since I baked mine in a round fluted tart pan, I cut the cookie into wedges instead of bars. 
Also, note the pan size if you're making the full recipe. It's 13 x 18!


3 comments:

cookie monster said...

They were yummy!! The frosting was nice and fluffy.

Bake-A-Holic said...

These are perfect for a small or large party. It's like a piece of cake, but you can pick it up and eat it. No plates necessary.

You can also top them with whatever sprinkles or sanding sugar you like. They're also tasty plain.

Megan said...

I love the idea of the tart pan. I think the wedges would be so cute! I'm glad to find another bake-aholic!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails