Thursday, December 5, 2013

Raspberry Coconut Macaroons

Here is another fun and tasty cookie recipe that would be great for giving or taking to your next get together! Use fresh raspberries and don't over mix the coconut 'batter'. 

Fresh, in-season raspberries work best here. I made these in December and they turned out quite runny with out-of-season berries. If you notice your mixture is liquidy (is that a word?), make sure to strain the coconut raspberry mixture and pat dry before you scoop into balls.


These dainty macaroons are truly addicting! They're sweet and chewy from the coconut with tart bits of fresh raspberry throughout. It's a unique and delicious combination of flavors that's sure to have you coming back for more!
Not only are these cute and yummy, they're super simple to make. Gotta love that!

Here's how to whip them up: 
Start with sweetened shredded coconut
 Blend it in a food processor with granulated sugar until light and fluffy
 Add in egg whites, almond extract and salt. 
Pulse, Pulse, Pulse!
 Gently fold in fresh raspberries
Do quick pulses until the raspberries are roughly chopped. You want good size pieces of raspberry to remain. You also want a mix of white and pink coconut. So, DON'T over blend this!
Shape into balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. I didn't use parchment and these stuck like crazy! So, use parchment or a silpat.
 I love the bits of fresh raspberry!
 Bake for 25-30 minutes @ 325.
Don't be afraid to let these brown all over. It helps them maintain their shape and stay together. It's also give them a nice crispy exterior giving way to a soft, chewy center.
These would be yummy with the bottoms dipped in dark chocolate or white chocolate!

Recipe Source: Smitten Kitchen

Raspberry Coconut Macaroons
Makes 50ish 1 1/4-inch cookies

14 ounces (400 grams) sweetened, flaked coconut
2/3 cup (130 grams) granulated sugar
3 large egg whites
Heaped 1/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt or level 1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 pint (6 ounces, 170 grams or 1 1/4 cups) fresh raspberries (if washed, patted very dry)

Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a food processor, blend the coconut for a minute. Add sugar, blend another minute. Add egg whites, salt and almond extract and blend for another minute. Add raspberries and pulse machine on and off in short bursts until they are largely, but not fully, broken down. (I counted 13 pulses. I might have been a little obsessive, what with the counting.) Some visible flecks of raspberry here and there are great. When you open the machine, you’ll see some parts of the batter that are still fully white while others are fully pink. Resist stirring them together.

With a tablespoon measure or cookie scoop (I used a #70), scoop batter into 1-inch mounds. You can arrange the cookies fairly close together as they don’t spread, just puff a bit. Scooping a little of the pink batter and a little of the white batter together makes them look extra marble-y and pretty.

Bake cookies for 25 to 30 minutes, until they look a little toasted on top. Let them rest on the tray for 10 minutes after baking (or you can let them fully cool in place, if you’re not in a rush to use the tray again), as they’ll be hard to move right out of the oven. They’ll firm up as they cool, but still remain softer and less dry inside than traditional macaroons. 
Recipe: Smittenkitchen

18 comments:

Christina said...

These were very yummy! Thanks for letting us have a sample. I look forward to checking out the recipes. We should probably get the kids together do some baking...I love to do it myself, I just have less time these days. Thanks again!

Shauna said...

OMG - I am hopping on the next flight out.

eatgood4life.blogspot.com said...

These look awesome.

I am so pinning this to make ASAP!! I love macaroons and I have never made them. Shame on me but now for sure I will. I love the fact that you used raspberries. I have some in the freezer so I will use them for this, unless I find some fresh organic ones....So excited I found this recipe.

Bake-A-Holic said...

Chris- You're welcome. And yes, we should definitely plan a baking play date soon! The kids would love that.

Mom- I hope you mean that!

EG4L: I've been finding organic raspberries at all the grocery stores and for a good price. If you've never had macaroons, I think you'll enjoy these!

Mary said...

These sounds fantastic. I adore macaroons and I've been making them for years, but it never occurred to me to add fruit! I love this idea. Thanks!

Nancy said...

What a great recipe! I love coconut macaroons but never had them with fruit like yours. Thanks for sharing, yum:)

Bake-A-Holic said...

I never thought of mixing fresh fruit with macaroons either, but it makes for a great flavor pairing! These would be cute (and tasty) for brunch or a bridal shower or a spring picnic...

Enjoy!

Angie's Recipes said...

Fabulous! I love these macaroons loaded with freshness and goodness!

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

Thee look delicious. I saw something similar on Smitten Kitchen, and now it makes me want to make them even more!

Jessica
stayathomeista.com

Bake-A-Holic said...

This recipe is from Smitten Kitchen and as soon as I saw it I knew I had to make them. Glad I did! I gave some to my neighbors who just loved them!

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

Wow! These macarons look amazing! Very interesting combination too! :)

amlamonte said...

ooo i just marked a recipe for something like these on a different blog! i love the idea of macaroons...they make me feel like i'm eating something healthy because they don't have any butter :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

They look delicious! I love the idea.

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Very watery. Didn't turn out well. Kind of disappointed

Bake-A-Holic said...

Sorry they didn't work out for you! Did you dry the fresh raspberries throughly after you washed them? If not, that's probably what caused them to be watery. Or, if you used frozen raspberries. Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

I used some strawberry jam... yummy!!

Bake-A-Holic said...

Great idea on the jam!

Shauna said...

Love the new blog look!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails