Monday, January 9, 2012

Grapefruit Cupcakes!

These cute little cupcakes have a tender, moist crumb and a fun grapefruit flavor. They would be perfect for a brunch or tea!
I had bowl full of delicious, juicy ruby red grapefruits from Trader Joe's. After taking one bite, I knew I had to bake something with them. I happened upon this cupcake recipe when I was blog surfing and had everything on hand, so I decided to whip some up. 

I tinted the batter pink to give it more of a ruby red appearance. Plus, my little girls love the color pink!
These cupcakes puff up with a nice even top, but not the typical dome shape you would expect for a cupcake. Which is fine for these, since they get glazed instead of frosted.
 I had some extra time, so I played around the cupcakes and grapefruit. He he.
 I'm a dork.

 They bake up super soft and fluffy. I loved the texture when biting into one of these.
These are simple looking, but also pretty and dainty. They would be cute in mini sizes too. Especially for brunch alongside a frittata and some fruit.
These tasted the best after the cupcake was completely cool and the glaze had time to set up. I tried one when it was slightly warm and I tossed some glaze on top just to taste it. I also had one about an hour later and that one was delicious. The grapefruit glaze really makes the flavor pop! 


If you have some ripe grapefruits sitting around, make some of these. You'll be pleasantly surprised!

Pink Grapefruit Cupcakes
Inspired by completelydelicious.com
Makes 8 cupcakes

1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup (115 grams) sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup (2 fluid ounces) whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (124 grams) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons (4 grams) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) salt
1 tablespoon grapefruit zest

For the icing:
1/2 cup (50 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
2 tablespoons grapefruit juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or grease with non-stick cooking spray.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the egg and mix until incorporated. Add the milk and vanilla extract and mix until combined.

In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and grapefruit zest. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Batter will be thick.

Spoon into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 12-14 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the icing, combine the powdered sugar, grapefruit zest, and grapefruit juice until smooth and there are no lumps. Add more juice if necessary to achieve desired consistency. Spoon onto the cooled cupcakes and let sit for a few minutes to firm up before serving.

Store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

4 comments:

Shauna said...

I love the flower. It shows your creativity, not your dorkyness.
You made a pink grapefruit cake once and it was delish.

Bake-A-Holic said...

I usually don't bake with grapefruit, but I really liked these. I wouldn't make them for a dessert, but I would make them on a warm morning to go with coffee or like I said, a fun tea or brunch. They're different and quite tasty.

jojo said...

Grapefruit cupcakes? No need to even take a pregnancy test if this is what sounds appealing :)

Bake-A-Holic said...

Jojo- He he. True. I've been craving citrus lately. But citrus is very common in all sorts of baked and savory dishes. Maybe grapefruit is under used? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails