Thursday, July 15, 2010

Keep the Cake Coming!

I know, I know. I've posted about this cake like three times now! It's just that I've gone to three birthday parties recently and they all requested that I bring a dessert and this cake was just fitting. For each party though, I decorated the cakes completely different and they've all turned out pretty neat and everyone absolutely loved them. So, why not?  That's why I love this recipe, it's very versatile. You can make the cake batter any color to fit any theme and there are countless ways to frost and decorate the cake.


My latest creation....

Here's how to do it...

Take your white cake batter and divide it between as many bowls as you want colors. Add gel or liquid dye to each bowl and stir with a spoon and see what you get. Add more coloring if you want a more vibrant hue.
Oooohhh
Aaaahhhh
WEeeeee
Once you have all your colorful batter mixed...
Just spoon medium-sized dollops into your greased (I like Pam baking spray) cake pan. I chose to use a 12-cup bundt pan.
Keep layering the batter...
...and layering, until you run out. I like to tap my pan to make sure all the batter settles. Then bake your cake according to your recipe.
While the cake bakes, make a tasty frosting. I choose this whipped cream cream cheese frosting and it was delicious! Slightly sweet and perfectly fluffy.
And once the cake has completely cooled, frost and decorate as desired. 

After I frosted mine, I made a purple glaze out of powdered sugar, vanilla, milk and purple dye. I drizzled that over the top of the frosting and then sprinkled on Betty Crocker pearl Cupcake Gems.


For fun I added a fruity center by tossing blueberries, strawberries, cherries and blackberries with a little powdered sugar and a splash of vanilla. This cake is delicious on its own, but the fruity center just adds a little something.


My favorite part of this cake is cutting into it and seeing all the crazy designs! How fun is that?


Now, make a wish!

For the cake recipe, click here. Also, I like to add vanilla and a splash of almond extract when using a cake mix.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

Hey, if it's good, it's good.

Simply Life said...

wow, what a fun cake!

Bake-A-Holic said...

Thanks for stopping by!

I love that the cake is all elegant on the outside and crazy on the inside. The best part is that it tastes so good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails